There are many ways a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can happen.
The majority of brain injuries in Arizona are caused by accidents. Most of those injuries are predictable and preventable.
The leading causes of TBI are:
- Firearm injuriesfrom handguns, shotguns, BB guns, or other types of guns (49%).
- Fallsfrom furniture, stairs, playground equipment, or other types of equipment (27%).
- Motor vehiclecrashes involving vehicle occupants, pedestrians, bicyclists, off-road vehicles, or motorcyclists (13%).
- Sports and recreational activitiesthat involve falls, colliding with or being hit by other people, or being hit by objects.
- Being struck by or against objectslike furniture or equipment, slipping in a bathtub and striking the edge, or being hit by someone during an assault.