What causes brain injury?
There are many ways a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can happen.
The majority of brain injuries in Arizona are caused by accidents. Most of those injuries are predictable and preventable.
The leading causes of TBI are:
- Motor vehicle crashes involving vehicle occupants, pedestrians, bicyclists, off-road vehicles, or motorcyclists.
- Falls from furniture, stairs, playground equipment, or other types of equipment.
- Firearm injuries from handguns, shotguns, BB guns, or other types of guns.
- Sports and recreational activities that involve falls, colliding with or being hit by other people, or being hit by objects.
- Being struck by or against objects like furniture or equipment, slipping in a bathtub and striking the edge, or being hit by someone during an assault.